One of the biggest benefits of a VA loan is the $0 down payment, but can a VA loan be used to purchase a duplex? What about a multifamily home?
The answer to both questions is a resounding YES! However, certain conditions do apply.
- You can purchase up to a 4-unit property for $0 down.
- You can have a total of 8 units from restoration of entitlement with 2 properties – both at $0 down.
- Great cash flow and omittance of a mortgage payment
- Amazing income source when fully paid off
- Gains from inflation of rents
Keep in mind that you can’t finance more than 8 total units, even if you try to do a joint loan as 2 veterans or 2 active-duty service members. Also, VA home loans secure mortgages for primary residences, so you must move into the house and use it as your primary residence within 60 days of the loan closing. You do not have to reside in the home every day of the calendar year though.
All properties purchased with a VA mortgage cannot be in certain natural disaster hazard areas.
The VA doesn’t consider duplexes or multi-family homes to be investment properties, even if you rent your unused units out to other people. You just must live in one of the units to meet VA occupancy requirements.
Interested in using your VA benefits to purchase a multi-unit? Reach out today!